How do I password protect directories?
Posted by - NA - on 26 March 2007 11:05 PM
To password protect a folder/directory, follow these steps in cPanel:
1. Login to your control panel using your account username/password at http://yourdomain.com/cpanel
2. Click on â€œPassword Protectionâ€ under Services
3. Browse to the folder which you want to password protect
4. Click on the name of the folder
5. It will present you a form. It has two parts and you have to submit both separately:
a) Allow access only to authorized users
[ ] Directory requires a password to access
Check the above box.
and Protected Resource Name: [ ] (enter a generic name of the protection such as â€œMy Protected Folderâ€)
Submit and it will protect it. Now step (b) for adding username/password. Browse to the same form and
b) Add/modify authorized user
and enter the username/password and save it.